This was in the Waco paper this morning. I thought it was really good so here it is for you.
Are you socially engaged?
1. Do you read newspapers and magazines on a regular basis?
2. Did you vote in the last election (local or national)?
3. Do you attend church on a regular basis?
4. Have you had a personal telephone conversation in the past week or so?
5. Do you browse or read books or materials from a library or bookstore?
6. Have you written a personal note or e-mail in the past week or so?
7. Hat you attended a meeting or event of a club, group, or society in the past month?
8. Do you have a reliable mode of transportation to go shopping?
9. Do you have a full or part time job or volunteer?
10. Have you been away for vacation in the past year or so?
11. Do you plan to go on a vacation in the next year or so?
12. Do you interact with friends or family members as much as you would like?
13. Do you have at least one friend or family member within easy driving distance?
14. Can you leave your home and walk independently outside (with or without a cane or walker0?
15. Do you get out and do things as much as you would like?
16. Do you have a least one friend or neighbor who you could ask for urgent help if needed?
If you said yes to 14 or more, you have good social health. If you have 12 or 13 you are in fair shape. Below 12 and you need to develop your social network or life.
Now on a personal note. If you do #3, you can use it to develop almost all the others. Just using #3, you can improve or even add 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13, and 16. That’s a 9 and we can help with a couple of others. See, church is good for you.
Peace and grace. Reed.